Sunday, May 1, 2011

CMwD District Assembly

This past Friday and Saturday I was at our regional UU District Assembly. After a crazy trip up to Bloomington, IL, my friend and I arrived late, but in time for the business meeting. As I am the Secretary of the Board, I was expected to take minutes. After driving five hours (yes that is two hours longer then needed), I raced into the conference room and immediately sat down to take minutes. We missed the first half hour, but thankfully the Board President was aware of the situation and had gotten someone else to also take minutes. That meeting was exhaustive. I had NO IDEA that people were so particular about by-law wording. We were making some changes and people had a lot to say on how exactly the new wording should be. This went on for a couple of hours.... I had been excited about going up to DA because I was getting to stay in a hotel all by myself and therefore could watch cable!!! We don't have cable, so I like to take advantage of it when I can. Unfortunately, after the car ride and mind-draining meeting that ended around 10.00pm, I went straight to bed. I was exhausted.

The next day was much more inspirational. The day's presenter was Mark Morrison-Reed. He is one of the few African-American ministers in the UU faith. I had read his book In Between and was really looking forward to hearing more of his thoughts on diversity. Well, it was really powerful. I learned a lot about UU history, racism, elitism, and how we (as a denomination) reacted to it. Sometimes embarrassingly poorly and other times very progressively. Morrison-Reed gave us a lot to think about. His style was very approachable, passionate, compassionate, and thoughtful. His presentation had hard truths, but presented in a way that didn't shut people down. He has a lot of humility and I left really reevaluating how I look at racial issues. My only wish is that more members of my congregation had been there. We live and the church is located in a very racially mixed area. If he ever speaks in the St. Louis area, I know I will try to get as many people as I know to hear him. I am very glad I went. (Thankfully, the ride home was uneventful!).

3 comments:

Bill Baar said...

I was there too and had lunch with Mark yesterday but couldn't stay for his afternoon session. Much good stuff presented in the AM though (although it is time for the good Reverend to update that video!)

plaidshoes said...

Sorry to have missed you Bill! The afternoon session was very good. Hopefully the CMwD will post it on their site. I definitely agree that the video needed some updating!

~~Marshi said...

Nice blog! ^^