Monday, May 16, 2011

Of Course, the Sun is Shining Today!

This is daughter and me. This is what we looked like all weekend because it rained ALL weekend long! Not one break during the whole trip. Thirteen girls and five adults accepting the fact that we would not be dry or warm until we got home on Sunday. After an excruciatingly long Friday night/early Saturday morning, I was about to cry and just go home. I don't think any of us leaders slept at all Friday (lots of drama). I think we were also all secretly hoping that at some point Saturday the sun would peak out. It did not. And did I mention that sometimes the adult "helpers" are more work then the girls? Despite wanting to jump in the van and run home, I was in it for the long haul and summoned up all my inner strength and two cups of cold coffee and forged on. Did I also mention how thankful I am that the other troop leaders are super-star campers? So thankful for their expertise. With all that, we did end up having some really great times. Hiking in the rain and forging the raging creek was a lot of fun. The nature center helper took a liking to our girls and gave them a good/interactive presentation on rocks. The girls also got to go canoeing - in the rain and wind, soaking wet. Yet, none of them complained. I was super proud of them. This was the first time for a lot of them and they all gave it their best. Despite being soaking wet, they couldn't stop talk about how fun it was. Memories were definitely made on this trip!

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

I thought of you this weekend. I wondered if you stuck it out! That's every trip for us except this last one--finally nice weather.

Anonymous said...

glad you had a good time--the kind of good time that turns into a GREAT time once you're reminiscing about it later from your dry warm house! Mary