Sunday, May 22, 2011

Trust That It Will Work

Today was Social Service Sunday for the kids at church. It is always so difficult to find a meaningful and doable project for children of all age groups that can be done in an hour! This year we decided to help out the local animal shelter by collecting items to donate and then making dog biscuits in class. I was in charge of the biscuit making. I have a good recipe and got all the supplies together. What I was not prepared for was the sheer number of children who showed up! I started to feel super overwhelmed and panicked. I am not very good when I don't feel completely in control and I sensed that this could easily get OUT OF CONTROL. I know the panic showed on my face and I tried hard to compose myself. I wish I was more laid back.

Thankfully, it went wonderfully! The RE Director had found a member of our congregation who had adopted a dog from this shelter. The dog only had three legs and had been through a lot. The owner talked so movingly about the dog and the shelter, it was hard to hold back the tears. The children were very moved. We had three biscuit making stations manned by some incredibly helpful parent volunteers. Despite my worrying, the kids did awesome. They were patient, helpful, engaged and enthused. I wish I would just let go and have faith that things will work out. Today went better then I could have even hoped!

No comments: