Sunday, June 26, 2011

Deutsch und Midsommar

This has been a busy weekend. The kids and I spent the weekend in a German Immersion class sponsored by the German School Assoc. of Greater St. Louis. To say it was exhausting is an understatement. One of my undergrad degrees is in German. You would think that I could speak it half-way decently. I can not. The classes were conducted entirely in German. I think I understood about 40% of it. Thankfully, the teacher's are used to working with a variety of German speaking levels and were incredibly patient in explaining and helping. I was happy that even though I speak it poorly, I did understand a lot more then I thought I would. I haven't taken a German class in sixteen years, so I felt I did OK. Husband and I hope to live in Germany someday (even for just a couple of years) and I want to be at least a little prepared. I also want to expose the kids to a foreign language. Unfortunately their school only offers Spanish, and then only in eighth grade. The kids were kept very busy with a good mixture of singing, book learning, playing, and crafting. All in German. After the first day, middle son came home and immediately crashed. Today was a little easier and it was super cute to hear youngest son sporadically intersperse German into the conversation. I will try to keep up at least the little bit they learned over the weekend.



Additionally, we celebrated Midsommars. We try to celebrate every year and almost missed it! The first picture is of youngest jumping over the fire (yes, I realize it is a very small fire, but I am also a cautious mom). We all took a turn for good luck. When I was in college, I spent a summer in Austria studying. Thankfully, I was there during Midsommer's fest. It was a blast. At the time, I was in a very rural area of Austria. We hiked up the side of a mountain and at the top was a huge bonfire. We took turns jumping it and then just partying. Obviously, life has quieted down quite a bit. So we jumped a little fire, made s'mores and decorated our own midsummer's pole (out of our zimzam). We also threw greens on roof for additional good luck. Hopefully one day I will be able to take my children to one of the festivals in Europe!

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

That sounds exhausting (German immersion school). Whew!