Sunday, October 23, 2011

Get Moving in RE!

I really love my 5/6th grade Religious Education class. They are a group of very bright, and very spirited kids. There is A LOT of energy in this class. At first it was a little daunting, but now that I realized what works - we are have a lot of fun. We have been using Shelter Rock's UU curriculum "The Questing Year." I like it a lot. It is easy to follow, very adaptable and presents the content in a fun way. One of the best aspects are the "Energy Burners". These are breaks in the in session to just move around. Wow - these have been helpful. Today I presented the first half of the lesson and realized that there was NO WAY that the kids would be able to sit through the second half. I made the decision to just finish with the energy burner. It went great and played so well into the lesson. The kids moved and had fun while debating some pretty important topics. We expanded the idea and I think the kids loved it. Sometimes, the best thinking occurs while you are in action!

No comments: