Sunday, October 23, 2011

Gifted Program & Parenting

My two oldest children have been in the gifted program through our school district for quite a few years. My oldest is now a middle schooler, so it is just my middle son who is still in the program. Last Friday were conferences. I guess I don't always realize how we appear to other people. I am fully aware of the drama that is our lives, but must do a pretty good job of hiding it around others. I was talking to his Robotics teacher and, as there weren't any other parents around for the moment, we digressed into parenting issues. I had mentioned how J is probably our hardest child and how we had to sometimes "bargain" certain issues. The teacher looked at me flabbergasted. He was "really?" and I am like, "yes." Now I am feeling completely embarrassed that we have had to do that. Maybe others don't? Then he said, "well, that actually makes me feel really good." (He has a teenager at home that isn't the most motivated and I sensed that perhaps bargaining happens frequently.) Somehow the teachers had gotten the impression that it was all rainbows and unicorns at our house. I definitely have fantastic kids and feel grateful for them, but we are human and have our "moments" too. I am just lucky they mostly happen in the house for just me to see! I am glad, though, that I made him feel better. Parenting is hard enough - no one needs the guilt of feeling that they aren't doing a good job. We all do the best we can with what we have.

No comments: