Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween & Sustainable values

Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Poseidon, Yoda, Athena

We love Halloween around here. There is nothing better then dressing up like someone/thing else. I am especially enjoying the kids costumes this year. I really appreciate how my kids are into making and reusing their costumes. Especially after beginning these sustainability classes at SLU, I have been really trying to reassess how we do things around the house. Husband and I have always leaned towards green practices, but definitely get lazy or "cost-effective". I would love to make a more strident commitment to our values and truly living them. Of course, we are human and perfection will never happen, but I feel I could be much more dedicated. A woman in one of my classes always is espousing the need for radical change. While I am more of centrist, I see her point. I need to get out of the middle and try a little harder. The future is worth it and I want to instill in my kids the commitment takes work. And that work has great payoffs. So, we will recycle Husband's (Dr. Doofenshmirtz) work lab coat, re-size Zeus's robe for Poseidon, Luke Sykwalker's cape works great for Yoda and Isis has now become Athena. Creativity and green-living work together remarkably well.

1 comment:

John A Arkansawyer said...

How are you doing the Doofenhair? My daughter plans to be Isabella, and since I have the lab coat (and feel a lot of sympathy for poor, evil Heinz), Doofenschmirtz was the obvious choice. But I have no hair!