Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween & Neighbors

I hope you all had a fun Halloween. I love Halloween, but always feel a bit of apprehension about it. I don't know why. Maybe it is all those movies that portray Halloween as a night of terror and egg-throwing. It is the unknown, and I am not very good with that. Since we live across the street from the in-laws and the cousins are also in town, we congregate at grandma and grandpa's house. We set up a fire pit and put out three or four buckets of candy for the kids to choose from. It is fun. The dads take the kids around and we hand out the candy and chat. Since we are on a cul-de-sac, we seem to be hit or miss with the trick-or-treaters. This was a pretty good year. We only had a couple of group of annoying tweenagers who didn't dress up and just wanted the candy. (they irritate me sooo much - at least try a little bit!). Mostly, though, it was just neighborhood folks. I love that this is one of those few opportunities that get people out of their houses chatting with each other. It is fun, informal, and a great way to get to know each other. I wish we had more opportunities like this. I know my cul-de-sac neighbors well, but we live in a large subdivision and I hardly know anyone else. Face-to-face meetings make all the difference. Knowing each other makes better and safer neighborhoods. I am glad to get to know mine!

No comments: