Monday, January 16, 2012

The Two Year Quilt

I just finished this very basic quilt. From idea to finish, it took over two years! Why? Because I am not a quilter at heart. I love to sew, but quilting requires soooo much patience and I just don't have much of it. Two years ago, Daughter and I were at a quilt show. Often they have vendors and one of them was selling this charm pack of batiks. Daughter LOVES batiks. She sews a little herself and everything she has sewn is made with batiks. I got the pack for her with some sort of vague idea that I would make a quilt for her. I then put it aside. Eventually I found the fabric again and figured I should wash and iron it so when I was inspired I would be good to go. So I did. More time passed and I realized I wouldn't have enough fabric to make a quilt from just the charm pack and decided to "highlight" the batiks by using white in between the squares. More time passed. One day I got the urge to cut squares - so I did - 189 six by six inch squares. My neck really hurt after that, so I took another long break. We finally finished our basement and my sewing room returned and I was on break from class. In the dark recesses of my mind, I knew it was now or never. But, I had all these squares and no idea of what to do with them. Once again, inspiration just wasn't there. I don't know why, but one day, out of the blue, the word "spiral" hit me. I went with it and above is what happened. I am really pleased with how it turned out. It is backed in flannel (because, like me, daughter really loves soft things) and Daughter LOVES it.

That, my friends, is my quilt making process. I hope yours moves a little quicker!

2 comments:

Sara said...

It looks lovely!

Bridgett said...

It's a beautiful layout and lets the batiks be themselves. I like it. I have a two year quilt myself, unfinished, needs to be done soon (again, now or never). I also have two 6 month quilts. Or, rather, I haven't touched them in 6 months. Can't recall how long they were worked on before that break.