Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent Tradition

You can take the girl out of the church, but you can't take the Catholic out of the girl. While we weren't super observent Catholics growing up, we did observe Lent. I really wish UUism had something similar. I love the idea of a community taking time out to reflect and deepen their spiritual practice. Maybe we should start a movement! What to call it....

It has become a tradition for Husband and I to give up eating out. You might ask how that is deepening our spiritual practice. To me it is a way to refocus our efforts back to respecting family time, whole foods, and slowing down. Eating at home is healthier. A healthier body allows for a more focused and engaged mind. I realize that eating out is a luxury for a lot of people, but Husband and I use it too much as a crutch for poor planning and just plain laziness. The kids take it for granted that we can just pick something up when we don't feel like cooking. That is not how I grew up. Eating out was a rarity and certaintly not something you just did because you felt like it! I want us, as a family, to be healthier and really value the process of putting food on the table. Having enough to eat is not something to be taken for granted.

3 comments:

Rev. Michelle said...

feel free to join me for this Lenten Practice! This will be our third year online sharing in a UU writing challenge...

http://ripelife.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/lenten-challenge-day-1/

Sara said...

I'm doing a Lenten Practice this year, for the first time. I didn't grow up Catholic, but I feel strongly drawn to the practice this year. I think a UU version would be great, but the Catholic version works for me if I just think of it as connecting to that which is most true and life-affirming, rather than to Christ (who might be what is most true and life-affirming for some). Now that I typed that I realize how typical UU wishy-washy that sounds!

plaidshoes said...

Sara - I like how you phrase that. I may have to borrow it ;-) I wish Lent wasn't so associated with Catholicism, I think more of us would participate if they didn't have this perceived baggage.