Saturday, April 7, 2012

Two Books That Rocked my Spiritual World

In honor of Easter, Husband and I decided to watch The Passion. You may remember this as the controversial Mel Gibson movie that came out a few years ago.  As we had never seen it and it was on instant watch from Netflix, we thought: why not? This got me to thinking about "controversial" theological books that really shook my then, Catholic, beliefs. The following two, read in high school, really shaped my future theology:
1. Damian by Hermann Hesse
2. Barabbas by Par Lindkvist
I don't know if I read them at a particular impressionable time, but they have stuck with me for years. I would love to know what books rocked your spiritual world!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Since I grew up "unchurched", what actually rocked my world (at about 17 years old) was "The Postman" by David Brin. Prior to that I considered myself a Libertarian survivalist, with a rough sort of competitive strength oriented theology, and then after I suddenly had all these ideas about beloved communities and mutuality.

Bridgett said...

Well, one was Bake and Be Blessed by Fr. Dominic, actually. I got it as a cozy little bit of fluff but I read it during the 3 day blackout in 2006 and it changed me. Suddenly I was consuming every Benedictine book I could find and I took vows as an oblate in September 2007. I could list a lot of other benedictine books here.

But the other would be A Testament of Devotion by Thomas R Kelly. No other book has made my head turn away from Catholicism (many books move me from this side of the tent to the other, but none pull the flap up and look outside) like this one did.