Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Making Peace with Jury Duty

If you follow me on twitter or Facebook, you will know how much this stressed me out.  Yesterday was my fourth time being called.  After the horrible experience in 2009, this was really weighing on me. I, of course, take it out on the universe.  Why me?! Why do I always get called?!  Most people I know have only been called once, if at all.  Who in the court system has it out for me?! Obviously, no one, but I like being unreasonable and dramatic about it.  Really, though, I am averaging being called once every four years. I am the only person I know of who lives in fear of being called for duty.  Most people don't even think about jury duty. I don't want to get the mail in case the summons is in there. 

So, with much trepidation, I headed to the Courts on Monday.  Since I had been there before, at least I knew what to expect ;-).  After getting settled in and hearing a long spiel from a Judge about how Missouri is looking to change how judges are appointed, the process began.  I know this is an exaggeration, but this is where my mind was: it felt like the the reaping from Hunger Games.  One by one, people started disappearing.  Three trials with approximately 90 potential jurors culled.  I was trying to calm myself and not flee in panic. Then a miracle happened.  I wasn't called.  A second miracle happened. The next day is a holiday, so I didn't have to come back on Tuesday.  While I had to wait the whole day to make sure there wasn't a late trial, my name was never announced.  I can not believe it.  This has NEVER happened. I even asked the court lady to make sure I really was done - it was just so unbelievable. I can't believe my luck and thank the Judicial God's for letting me go!

No comments: