Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Church Is Open

Like most UU congregations, ours had their Ingathering this past Sunday.  I have to admit, we were like a lot of UUs and took the summer off.  Honestly, I was feeling really burned out by the church and school year.  I just needed a break from it all.  I am glad we did.  A part of me feels that it is silly to take the summer off - spiritual development and commitment are lifelong processes - but sometimes it is what the doctor orders.  I realized at the end of summer, I was missing church.  I began to look forward to going again.  I also took a hard look at what I was doing at church and ways I needed to modify my commitments to make them more sustainable.  I resigned from the RE committee.  I am no longer the Chair.  I have been on the committee for three years and it is time for someone else with more energy and ideas to step up.  This has been a huge release.  I am still teaching.  In fact, we just started a new middle school youth group and I am very excited to lead it.  This is one of my favorite ages and I am really looking forward to working with the kids.  I am also still leading a once-a-month Bible Study.  I started this last year and LOVED it.  It has been a great experience and I can't wait for it to start up again.  So, yes, I am glad we took the summer off.  I am also glad we found our way back.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I spent a day this week calling all the families from church to remind them that this Sunday RE starts again for all ages, and I heard a lot of variations of this. "I feel bad I haven't been around all summer", "I feel guilty I missed church". I told them all the same thing - no guilt, no worries, it was a great summer, and I'll be happy to see you next Sunday!

There is a season to everything, and although spiritual growth doesn't take the summer off, it may move to other locations for a bit. :)