Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Being #1

This past weekend I headed back to South Dakota for my grandma's funeral.  To break up the thirteen hour drive, I spent the night at my mom's in Iowa.  I guess being a mother was on my mind.  I was sad that my dad lost his, glad I was seeing mine, and feeling a little disorientated about not being a mom to my three kids for the next three days.  When I got to my mom's house, she immediately started fussing over me.  Did I want some food or a drink, how was my drive, did I want to watch a movie, etc.  All of a sudden, it was all about me.  I was the center of attention.  I guess it was something I needed, because it felt great.  It wasn't about my kids, or husband, or sister, or sister in law - just me.  It really just hit me about how lucky I am to have a mother that is my cheerleader.  No matter what, she is in my corner.  I hope my kids feel that.  To me, it is the essence of motherhood.

No comments: