Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Daniel Fast for Lent

I usually give up something for Lent.  Growing up Catholic, it was just the thing to do (yes, I do realize there are reasons behind it...).  Typically it was coffee, caffeine, chocolate or TV.  In all honesty, it was never a huge challenge and not much of a time of sacrifice and self-reflection.  This year I decided to do something different. I have been feeling a little directionless and unfocused both spiritually and in general life/living.  There have been a lot of losses lately and they have weighed heavily on me.  In addition to the deaths, several friends have moved away and I feel the hole they have left acutely.  I need to make a conscientious effort to figure out how to become more centered.

I was reading in the local paper about how many Christians are doing the Daniel Fast. It combines very healthy/clean eating with daily devotions.  This really appealed to me.  I like the whole-food aspect to it, but appreciate the daily spiritual component.  I decided to use The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory as a guide.  While this book's daily devotional might not appeal to a lot of UUs, they are something you could use as a springboard to deepen your own theology.  This won't be easy, but it isn't meant to be. I will keep you posted.

No comments: