Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Loss

My grandmother unexpectedly passed away last night. She had very advanced Alzheimer's, but was in overall good health.  I am feeling a lot of mixed emotions.  I am very sad for the loss, but also recognize that her quality of life was greatly diminished.  We were very lucky that the whole family got to see her this past summer.  I like to think that there was a flicker of recognition when we visited her in the nursing home in South Dakota.  I guess I knew deep down that this might be the last time we see her,but  I was hoping that I was wrong.  She was a complicated person who did not have an easy life. But, there was no doubt in the love she had for grandpa and her seven kids.  I hope she is at peace.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I"m so sorry for your loss. What a rough bit of it you're having! Hugs, and my thoughts and prayers for you.