Sunday, May 12, 2013

40 and Beyond

Yesterday was my fortieth birthday.  I can not believe that I am actually 40.  Not because 40 is really old, but because time is going by SO FAST.  Wasn't I just 25?!  I still feel like I am 25. I guess it is good to feel young, even if the body isn't quite on board.  It was a great day.  I got the above banjo from the family. I have been wanting to learn to play it for so long, that I could barely put it down.  My goal is that by 45, I will be good enough/brave enough to join the Sunday bluegrass jam session at a local restaurant. 

I have also been thinking about how I want to handle to 40s.  A top priority is to take better care of my health; both physically and mentally.  I have a long family history of diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, etc.  I don't want to go down that road. I figure it is about time I start taking these things seriously and try to avoid them - especially since a lot of them are lifestyle related.

I also want to make sure I utilize my time in ways that are productive and fulfilling.  As the kids are getting older and I only have more more class to take, my schedule is starting to open up.  I am really reflecting on how I want to spend it.  How can I make a difference? What sort of work do I want to pursue? Where do I want to put my volunteer time? I feel blessed that our family is strong and I want to make sure those bonds stay that way.

Any advice for the new decade?  I am very much looking forward to what it brings!

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

These are good things to think about.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! 40 was a shock for me, even though from age 30 I vowed it wouldn't be. As I gradually aged through my 40's I eventually made peace with the fact that nobody stays young forever. There is a season for everything.

When I turned 50 I was amazed at how far I had come and I was very happy to still be here, as some of my friends we no longer among us. At 56 a lot of my struggles are behind me now and I can appreciate more ofthe wonder and beauty that life has to offer.

My best advice is to make a real effort to maintain your health. Excercise, eat right, get proper rest, etc. You can't stop the aging process but you can slow it down. Take more time for yourself and the things you enjoy. The banjo looks like a good start toward that goal. Most of all, enjoy each day to the fullest. We won't pass this way again.

Sara said...

Happy Birthday! The banjo looks like fun. :)