Friday, June 7, 2013

Cheerio's Commercial

I loved this commercial.  If you haven't seen it, it involves an adorable mixed-race girl talking to her Caucasian mother and African-American father.  When I saw the ad, I thought - finally! a commercial that represents the community I live in.  While my family is not mixed-race, many of our friends and, particularly, my children's friends are in mixed-race families.  It is completely normal where we live.  I thought it was wonderful that a national brand was reflecting the changing demographics of the US.  I find it sad that Cheerio's is experiencing so much backlash.  We are all humans.  The shade of our skin shouldn't dictate who we are allowed to love. I hope Cheerio's remains strong in their stance and continues to air the ad. It is past time for people to accept that love doesn't have color boundaries.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I found the backlash very depressing.