Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summer Catch-Up

As usual, the end of the school year was crazy busy.  Even with the best of planning, it feels like I am running around trying to get everything finished and attended to.  This summer is looking to be pretty busy, too.  We have stepped way back on camps for the kids, and have opted for just a couple Scout and church camps.  Other then that, they at least, will have plenty of down time.  My schedule, though, is looking a little overwhelming.

I am taking my last class towards my Master program.  It is the capstone and is looking to be quite a big project due within a six week time frame.  Very challenging to find something worthwhile, yet doable. I think I am going to work on something that will tie into my work with Missouri Interfaith Power & Light.

Speaking of which, we have lost three Steering Committee members due to them moving out of state! They were great helpers and their presence is greatly missed.  It now appears that it has fallen on my shoulders to keep our work moving.  This is good, but it has almost become a part-time job.  Which would be great, but at some point, I really need to have a job that pays ;-)  We are looking to replace those members, so if you know of anyone that may be interested in being on the Steering Committee, please shoot me an email.  It is actually pretty exciting as our work and name starts to spread throughout the state.  We are hoping to really launch our programming this fall.

My online business is slowly reaching the starting gate.  I am also very excited for this, but all the little details are incredible!  I have alluded to it before, but I might as well throw it out there. I am starting an online organic fabric business.  Many fabric designers are now starting to use organic fabric and the option have expanded beyond shakes of khaki.  Unfortunately, they are not easy to find in stores. There are a couple of other online stores out there, but I am hoping mine will be a lot more interactive and inspiring.  If you are curious, here is the website - still very much in the development phase: Tempest In A Tulip.

Additionally, I am finishing up my term as Board Secretary for the Central Midwest District.  I am super excited that I get to go to General Assembly this year.  I haven't been since it was St. Louis so many years ago.  While it will be hard to be gone so many days, I feel I really need this to recommit to UU.  I am also giving a sermon this summer at my congregation; all about Jesus.  As someone who admires the person Jesus was, I am hoping to convey that and his message to the congregation.

On the fun side, I canned some awesome strawberry jam and rhubarb/cinnamon jam.  They turned out fantastic.  I also planted more grape vines, bringing the total to four.  Two more apple and one more peach tree were planted and I can't wait for them to start producing.  We also signed a contract for solar panels.  We have talked about this for so long, I can't believe it is actually happening.  They should be up sometime in August!

No comments: