Tuesday, June 13, 2017

UU Communion

This past Sunday I preached on Original Sin. If you get a chance to read Danielle Shroyer's book on the topic, Original Blessing: Putting Sin in its Rightful Place, I would recommend it. While it comes at the topic from a very Christian perspective, I think UUs can get a lot out of it.  This is a topic for another post, though.

I have been wanting to do a form of Communion at my congregation for awhile. I finally got to this past weekend. I was a little apprehensive on how it would be received, but really feel that Communion is way a of connecting with each other. It went wonderfully. As I realize that a lot of folks have baggage regarding taking Communion, I made sure that it was in the weekly email and Facebook page. I didn't want anyone caught off guard.  I am really grateful that they approached it with an open mind. I cobbled together a variety of sources and thought that it came across as very ecumenical and UU focused. I made the Communion bread myself (we are a small congregation, so it wasn't a problem) and borrowed those little cups from my sister-in-law's church.  I am appreciative that the congregation went with it and I hope that I can perform it again.  Does your congregation every do this (and I don't mean the annual Bread Communion)?

No comments: